Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Fun Fact for today...

As some have you might have figured out by navigating through my pretense of anonymity, my last name is Spooner.

In fact, my Grandfather was a Massachusetts Spooner who's family had been in the area for quite some time.

Which leads me to my point:

I have no proof family tree wise, but I have reason to suspect that the great Libertarian anarchist author Lysander Spooner (who's complete works can be accessed from the links) is a relative of my great-great-grandfather, most likely some form of cousin a few times removed.

Not that this confers any of his gravitas onto me personally, but it does give me warm feelings to know that my family has some serious Libertarian and Abolitionist roots dating as far back as the run-up to the civil war.

Oddly enough, I became an anarcho-capitalist (which is an almost, but not quite accurate description of Lysander Spooner's personal philosophy) wholly independent of this knowledge, which made the discovery all the more titillating.

No comments: